Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Watch Us Rise by Renée Watson and Ellen Hagan

What would you want to see happen to the characters after this book (or the last of the series) ends?

In Watch Us Rise by Renée Watson and Ellen Hagan, Chelsea Spencer and Jasmine Gray, from their daily experiences decide that their high school is not as accepting to all people and views as the administration says it is. After having difficulties with the racism and sexism they find in their club from the students and teachers, Chelsea and Jasmine form their own women's rights club. After the book, they only have one year left in high school. I would want to see Chelsea and Jasmine's club expand and create a movement of empowerment for women across New York. Chelsea and Jasmine are strong activists and I like to see them continue their pursuit of justice. I enjoyed reading Watch Us Rise and Chelsea and Jasmine's fight for equity inspires me to do more in my life.

-James

No comments:

Post a Comment