Thursday, August 15, 2019

Me and Marvin Gardens, Amy Sarig King

Describe a part of the book that made you feel something strongly (i.e. something that made you cry, laugh, get really angry, etc.).


I felt the main conflict in this book strongly because I could relate to it. This summer I visited Patten Maine where my great-grandfather and great-grandmother grew up. It was a small farming and lumber community with only 1,093 people in total. Everything looked open and green and beautiful. I would feel depressed and angry if I returned there and saw a Walmart and a bunch of condos instead of the green, sweeping land my great-grandfather loved so much. My uncle told me that my great-grandfather had to move to Worcester during the Depression to work and feed his kids. But he rode on his scooter from Worcester every weekend for 7 or 8 hours to go back to his farm and log cabin on Shin Pond because he loved it so much. If his hometown was sold and developed into a commercial place, my great-grandfather would have been heart-broken. If this happened, I would feel guilty about not being able to protect my great-grandfather’s land kind of like Obe felt wanting to protect Marvin because there was such a strong love there. I think Patten Maine isn’t the only special place in the world, there are probably 1000s of other amazing places in this world that mean something to people who lived there and to their families. So, I can relate to Obe about losing his family’s land, wanting to safeguard it, and wanting to shield Marvin from danger.

-Gabriel

No comments:

Post a Comment